I tend not to purchase more recent photos, but this one appealed to me. The nuclear family looked so happy and clean cut. What could I find out about them?

There is no studio mark on the elaborate frame. On the back in blue ink is "Arnold Vadin & family. Leone. Dianne. Jimmy."

Diane, Leone, Jimmy, and Arnold Vedin, circa 1943 or 1944.

I was uncertain is if the surname was Vadin or Vedin. When I searched on Ancestry Family Tree I searched for an Arnold Vadin with a wife Leone, no matches. When I searched for Arnold Vedin with a wife Leone, among the entries that came up were an Arnold W. Vedin who was married to a Virginia Maxine King. When I clicked on that I discovered that Arnold had also been married to Leona Irene Alexander. 

The family appears on the 1940 US census, for Brookings, Brookings County, South Dakota:

VEDIN, Arnold, 26, b. South Dakota, carpenter building construction

VEDIN, Leone, 22, b. South Dakota

VEDIN, Diane, 3, b. South Dakota

VEDIN, James, 2, b. South Dakota

The family tree entry indicates that Arnold W. Vedin was born on 22 November 1913 in Redfield, Spink County, South Dakota, son of Karl August Vedin and Christine Olson. He was married on 18 January 1936 in Kingsbury, South Dakota to Leone J. Laddusaw.

Arnold was 39 years old when he died on 27 July 1943 at Horton, Brown County, Kansas. I suspected he died in an accident and on his entry on Findagrave, which indicates he was buried in Greenlawn Cemetery in Redfield, Spink County, South Dakota, there was a newspaper article indicating he died in a car accident. I found two articles on Newspapers.com. 

The Manhatten Mercury (Manhattan, Kansas), 27 July 1953, page 1, column 4.

The Iola Register (Iola, Kansas), 28 July 1953, page 5, column 6.

Arnold's wife Leona would remarry in 1957 in Idaho to Earl Alexander. She died on 31 July 2000 at Snohomish County, Washington. She was also buried in Greenlawn Cemetery.

The couple's son Jimmy was James Delmont Vedin. He was born in 1938 and died on 15 June 1944 in Cheyenne, Laramie County, Wyoming. He was six years old when he died and was also buried in Greenlawn Cemetery. I found an article on GenealogyBank.com that explained what happened:

San Diego Union (San Diego, California), 16 June 1944, page 11A, column 3.

I believe the daughter may still be alive, so I am not posting data on her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog